Lauren in Sevilla

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Friday before carnaval

16/2/07 Friday

There are times when I don’t understand how the Lord has time to look over every person in the world. I believe that he is packing on overtime hours on me because I am so blessed. I have an amazingly supportive family back at home that diligently write me Emails about what is going on back at home and offer support when I begin to miss home. I really miss my mom and I knew I would because even when I left for UW I would call and email her just to know what was going on and ask for her guidance on papers, signing up for classes, and sometimes just when I needed a friend to talk to. My mom has always been there for me and supported me on any of the wacky ideas I come up with. When I explain her to other people I can’t just say she’s only my mom because she’s also my guidance, hero, and most importantly my best friend.

My dad has been worrying about me nonstop since I left- he warned me not to fall in love with any Spanish boys because he’s worried that I won’t come back- I miss watching movies with him as he and I were always the only ones that didn’t fall asleep through the Hallmark channel movies on Sunday nights and thus were the only two crying at the end. He was the first one I called when I got to Spain and I was scared and feeling extremely lost. I am told that he still plays a message I left during my first days in Spain in which I am extremely upset and hurt that I couldn’t get ahold of any of my family. I think he is just worrying himself silly and someone should delete that message so I can leave a happier one hint hint. One which would include I CAN’T WAIT TO GO HORSEBACK RIDING WITH YOU DAD!

As for my sisters its funny I remember how much we fought when we were young and now all of us are feeling sad that we are so far apart. Adar is really an amazing volleyball player and more importantly a dedicated and aggressive soccer player. I am hoping that they will still have some games going on for me to watch her play when I get back. I know that she is living the high life as the only child in the house but from what she has said I think she’ll be more excited about having KJ and I back for the Summer. She has also met a boy that really is sweeping her off her feet with really surprising Valentines Day surprises and bringing the Rock Springs vs Green River rivalry home J Everybody has told me that this guy is really nice so I am waiting to meet this guy when I get back-maybe he’ll learn to make fried ice cream and immediately be accepted for movie nights at the Westling household.

As for Kayli well everyone is so proud of her right now with her acting skills that have impressed people world wide. Mom, Dad, and Isaiah write me about how amazing all of her plays have been and bum me out that I am not there to watch my little sister be pregnant in Little Women (where she looks like she is going to POP and in a ton of pain) and play an inspiring woman in the premiere of a religious piece. Kayli has been really busy with balancing school work, practices, work, and a social life. I know that KJ is missing Tyler, well not just KJ but all of us do, it was good that they left as friends and I really do think that the trip to Spain certainly didn’t hurt. Kayli hasn’t had a decrease of dates though and I am really curious about this upcoming blind date…… more to come.

I really do love my family a whole bunch and when I decided to go study abroad in Spain I never really imagined how much it would affect my family. My dad and his answering machine, my sisters having to wait for our “girl talks” and Adar I have started writing on internet instead, making amends for our long lost talks, my mom always making time to write me about things that are going on in town, what is going on with the family and reminders that I will always be in their hearts. I love you guys and miss you a whole ton but don’t worry I am coming home in May and then you’ll probably get tired of me really quick- especially when I compare everything to spain for the first month and insist upon speaking Spanish at all possible opportunities.

The one person I haven’t mentioned is one that I don’t know how to describe except by saying he’s my constant. He’s my light when I am feeling down, he’s my surprise when I get time to sneak away from schoolwork to write, he’s my long absence hug when I am feeling sad, he’s the man that made me fall in love with Green River all over again right before I left- kind of him I know., and he’s the one that will send me millions of emails on two accounts and leaves his phone on to hear when I reply. The others try really hard not to make me miss home while I think its Isaiah’s mission to do just the opposite. He does an amazing job at explaining important events in detail so I feel like I was actually there with him, he tells me about what is going on with my family and makes trips to visit with them and give Pooka some exercise. As my dad put it he was my Christmas present but really having my mom come down early and (my poor family had to have Christmas without her which I know that was tough for them) then the rest of them come really meant a whole lot to me and I thank God daily for that break I got to have to just explore Spain with the people I love. Without their support and love I would never have made it through my first semester in Spain as well as I did I LOVE YOU GUYS!

As if having an amazing family and boyfriend weren’t enough the Lord has granted me other miracles as well and the first is Mario. I met Mario through a girl that had studied abroad in Sevilla two years ago. He has been my intercambio and has repeatedly called me over and over again to get me to come out with him and if not with his friends we talk about random topics and I get one-on-one conversations in Spanish as well as discover the city from a local’s perspective especially with the Sevilla vs. Betis games and Sevilla and Triana discussions.

Yestaurday Mario called me to go the Carnaval in Cadiz on Saturday night. I have booked a trip with an American group called Discover Sevilla but they didn’t have any openings for the first weekend so his asking me was really perfect. It turns out that he can’t go because for some odd reason he has an exam on Saturday (which there is still room if he changes his mind). So yestaurday from 5:30 to 2am I was working with a group of friends making our costumes for Cadiz- the group theme this year is Vikings! It is really fun because the guys are a blast to talk to, they are really creative in designing costumes, well prepared, and really laid back- well besides being extremely excited about Carnaval and that excitement is infectious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home