Lauren in Sevilla

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

11/2/07 Domingo

11/2/07 DOMINGO or in English 2-11-2007

Yestaurday night was a lot of fun and I experienced a lot of new things and had a blast in Sevilla with our Spaniard friends, and no alcohol was involved (actually that is pretty weird because I have noticed that all of Europe tends to drink a lot of alcohol..it is just more widely accepted kind of like coffee). Anyways, the evening started with me meeting my intercambio Mario across the street from my house. We walked down to meet this new girl in the program that I went shopping with earlier with my new roommate Anne. Her name is Jessica and she had just taken a bus from Nervion to Encarnacion and walked to la plaza del museo and I just told her we would pick her up there just so she didn’t get lost.

Together we walked into Triana, which is just over the bridge two blocks from my piso but as I was informed by Mario it is a completely different city. Now he is from Triana and anybody from Triana proudly talks about how much better Triana is from every other part of the city. It is odd because I really do think they treat Triana as another city within Sevilla because the tourist office signs say they give tours of “Sevilla and Triana”.

Mario, his friend Antonito and usually one of my friends have been traveling more extensively around Sevilla in Antonito’s car and so far all the parts of the city I know are Centro (where I live), Nervion (which Ashton and I discovered accidently when lost one day-and the place that our host dad can’t believe we walk to as it is so far, he has actually never walked to Nervion “porque lo es muy lejo” but he walks beside the river daily with Beatle (the family dog) daily.) Los Remedios (beside Triana where I went to el Teatro-my first discoteca in Spain) Macarena (which is the area I have been exploring lately as I had a volunteered to walk a blind elderly man home there on Friday and then also learned their was a protestant church there was there again this morning-didn’t get to go to church though because Cari Anne didn’t make it in) Isla Cartuja (which is an island next to Triana (well it is connected to Triana and only has the river on two sides but they call it an island- it also has their theme park Isla Magica, the Expo, and El Mercadillo every Saturday and Sunday.) Sevilla oeste (where we watched the Sevilla vs. Betis soccer game last weekend) and Sevilla este (today I went there to watch Virginia “V” one of Mario’s pretty good friends play soccer).

So back to my experience yestaurday well Jessica Mario and I set off walking through Triana to meet Antonito, V (I am told there are together but you wouldn’t guess it just watching them) Fran- a new friend I had never met, Lorenzo (Loren for short, we watched the last Sevilla vs. Betis game with him last weekend in a bar and it was nice because he is a Sevilla fan as well). And a girl and a guy I have seen a lot just really don’t remember their names we all greet each other but Loren, and these two tend to branch off and for this particular night we didn’t see them again.

We then walked-the 6 of us Antonito, Mario, V, Fran, Jessica and I to a restaurant/bar in Triana and sat at a small table and had tapas and watched the Sevilla vs. Betis game. It was fun because they chose what tapas to order and while we were always involved we really don’t know the choices as well as them. We shared 5 plates first (and one of the most amazing!) was papas al Ali-Oli. Now this was chunks of fried potato covered with a white sauce called Ali-Oli that is a lot like Mayonnaise but then with ajo (garlic) pimiento (peppers) aceite (all oil a stable here!) and some other stuff all to make this creamy white concoction- Jessica and I feel in love and dipped crackers and papitos (cracker sticks) into the sauce the whole time.

The next tapa was called cazon I believe and it was described to us as shark-it was served fried and breaded-and good. It was an interesting taste that while I didn’t fall in love with it- it was good. Then a type of beef marinated in whisky with French frys and some olive oil-really good. Then our last one was calamari-always amazing. This was really fun and the rivalry between fans in the bar really picked up as the game wore on and Sevilla had a couple really close attempts and Betis had one. Ending the game 0-0 yet again, alas Sevilla makes a ton of really good shots and just can’t get them to count!

We made our way toward Calle Betis and stopped at a hooka bar called Baghdad. It was really fun because we sat on poofs and all of us got some type of drink. I got a batido (milk shake and it was AMAZING). Others got cocktails of wild flavors, and others warmed milk that was different flavors and came in an arab tea pot with a cup that Mario equates to Ms. Pots and Cup from the Beauty and the Beast. We had a ton of fun in the atmosphere talking about movies (it is so hard to understand their accents when they are saying English words a lot for me-especially English names) They said Grease once I just figured they were meaning the color gris and didn’t pick up on what they were trying to say. However, the night was fun and we even added another person to the group, Carlos.

We then walked to the bridge of Triana and Antonito, V, and Fran called it a night (it was 3am by now) and Carlos, Jessica, Mario, and I made our way to Carlos’ car and drove to a discoteca, that I never got the name of, in Sevilla este and danced for a long time. It was nice to be in a place with so few Americans and it had a lot of room to actually dance. The other clubs usually are packed and you can’t dance you just sway with the crowd, so this was a lot of fun. We left at about 4:50 and I was so happy to crawl into bed for a little bit of sleep- as I was up at 9am the next day for church.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home